Information Guide for New Employees

Welcome to King’s!

Your payroll and benefits are administered by Human Resources and we have prepared this summary to try to guide you through the many forms you will need to complete.

Your net pay is directly deposited to your bank account on the 25th of each month. You must include a void cheque with your forms to ensure that payment is processed on time.

All employees should complete and return the following forms to our office as soon as possible, which is provided by the Human Resources Compensation Officer:

  • NS Personal Tax Credits Return (TD1)
  • Federal Personal Tax Credits Return (TD1)
  • Group Insurance Enrolment Card
  • Medavie Blue Cross – Application for Group Benefits
  • Employee Information Form

All full-time, contract and regular part-time (50% or higher of FTE) employees are entered into the following mandatory benefit plans:

  • Group Life
  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment
  • Long-Term Disability
  • Medical Coverage (mandatory for new employees unless you can provide proof of coverage)
  • Excess Medical Travel

All full-time, contract and regular part-time (50% or higher of FTE) employees should consider the following optional benefits plans and advise whether or not they wish to participate (the appropriate forms are indicated below):

  • Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance – Manulife Financial
  • Voluntary Personal Accident Insurance – Beneva (Previously SSQ)
  • Voluntary Dental Insurance – Medavie BlueCross
  • Voluntary Critical Illness Insurance – Beneva Previously SSQ

Eligible full-time employees will become members of the Nova Scotia Public Superannuation Pension Plan (PSSP) upon hire.

Instructors will require access to DalOnline to grant registration permits, overrides and to submit grades. Please see your program/department administrative assistant for access information.

If you have any further questions please drop by our office and we will direct your inquiries to the appropriate person. Forms should be returned to the Human Resources Compensation Officer, who can be reached at extension 220.

Parking Policy

Parking permits are available from the Bursar’s Office for faculty and staff who can demonstrate a need to use a car to get to work on a daily basis. That is, passes will be allocated first to faculty and staff living outside a 5 KM radius of the University, as Faculty and staff within the 5 KM range have access to major bus routes. Payments can be made by cheque, cash, debit, Visa, or MasterCard. You will need to provide your vehicle year/make/model & plate # before a permit can be issued.

City of Halifax parking tickets are issued to those vehicles without a permit or a temporary pass on display. Vehicles illegally parked or blocking fire lanes or walkways may be ticketed or towed away at the owner’s expense.


To provide a consistent style to our email services we have established an alias, which is Employees have their primary account set up on the Dalhousie IMAP server (using their NetID) and can choose to access email using through by installing an alternative email management program (Outlook, M365). The Dalhousie account provides an email address which the King’s alias is pointed to. In order to avoid confusion please direct all your emails using the alias:

All faculty and staff are set up to have access to their Dalhousie NetID. A Dalhousie NetID provides:

      1. Dalhousie email address
      2. Ability to access your email remotely through the web
      3. Access to library databases

To claim your NetID, visit the King’s website ( to login under MyDal (located on the top right hand corner of the main page), select the New Users tab and follow the provided directions.

The following distributions lists are maintained so that you can send emails to specific groups:
UKC-COMMUNITY@LISTS.DAL.CA – all King’s employees, Chartwells, Bookstore, Cleaning Staff & KSU Rep
UKC-FACULTY@LISTS.DAL.CA – Faculty members (voting and non-voting members)
UKC-STAFF@LISTS.DAL.CA – all full time, part time and contract staff members


All non-Journalism faculty and staff offices are provided with an office computer. Not all offices are equipped with printers and in this case you should check with the Administrative Assistant of your program/department to see what printing options are available. Each program/department has a designated person for computer support who will coordinate the set up, troubleshooting and repair to computer and printer equipment. Please contact your Program or Department Head or the Administrative Assistant of your program/department to note who your contact may be. Help is also available to King’s faculty and staff at the Dalhousie Help Desk (902-494-3834).

ID Cards and Facility Access

Photo ID cards can be obtained in the HR Office, by making an appointment with the Human Resources & Compensation Officer. All faculty and staff have access to the King’s Fitness Centre, the Library and the Wardroom provided they show their University photo ID.


There is a stationery room on the main floor of the A&A Building and the key for the Stationery room is kept at Reception.  See the Receptionist for any out of stock or special requests.


All programs/departments have designated photocopiers, and there are two general photocopiers which faculty and staff may use provided they have a PIN number. One machine is located next to the stationery room on the main floor of the A&A and the other is on the 3rd floor of the New Academic Building. To get your PIN please see the A&A Reception desk.


Your office phone has a voice mail option which has to be set up initially. If you have problems setting up your voice mail, please ask your program/department administrative assistant.

Health & Safety Issues

King’s has an Occupational Health & Safety Committee with a representative for each group or area. Please see Occupational Health & Safety for further details.

Cleaning Concerns

Offices and classrooms are cleaned on a periodic basis. Any concerns or cleaning questions should be directed to the cleaning coordinator: Tim Ross.

Fire Safety And Safety Plan

It is your responsibility to read the University’s Safety Policy and Fire Safety Plan at the Occupational Health & Safety page.