Tuition Fee Waiver

King’s provides a 50% tuition fee waiver for dependants of permanent full-time Faculty and Staff, with two years or more seniority as at the date of registration, in most undergraduate courses leading to a first degree but not including Dentistry, Law and Medicine at Dalhousie.  The waiver does not apply to the one year Bachelor of Journalism program at King’s. Employees must hold a permanent full-time position; waivers are not provided for positions considered as part-time, term positions or contract positions.

Students who qualify to have the University of King’s College pay 50% of their term tuition, must provide the fully completed Tuition Fee Waiver Form to the King’s Student Accounts Office ( on or before the term tuition due date. Students are responsible for paying the remaining 50% of their tuition as well as all incidental fees. Account credits will not be refunded until successful grades are posted. Any unused portion of an applicable registration deposit will be refunded.

Dependants may be defined as:

Spouse: a person who either is married through an ecclesiastical or civil ceremony to the employee, or although not legally married to the employee, cohabits with the employee for at least 12 months in a conjugal relationship which is recognized as such in the community in which they reside.  The term “conjugal relationship” shall be deemed to include a conjugal relationship between partners of the same sex.

Child: any dependent child of an employee to the end of the academic year of the child’s 25th birthday, or beyond that date if dependent on the employee by reason of mental or physical disability.  Dependants are defined as children of the employee for whom the employee is entitled to claim tax credit under the Income Tax Act in the year in which the tuition waiver is requested for children not over the age of twenty-five (25) to whom the employee declares that they provide regular financial support.

Tuition Fee Waiver (PDF)

Travelling and Insurance

The University’s Long Term Disability Policy, the Medavie Blue Cross Medical Policy, the Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy and the Excess Medical (Travel) Insurance all contain limitations of coverage based on certain travel destinations.

Our insurers have designated various regions or countries as “War Risk Zones” (PDF of areas currently designated as such) and coverage may be restricted in relation to travel or work in these zones. The latest Schedule of Designated War Risk Zones can be found at link to our war zone listing.

The Dalhousie University website may be of some interest to faculty, staff or students planning international travel.

Details including your Excess Travel card, policy number, coverage, and claims procedures for your Excess Medical (Travel) Insurance can be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Officer should you have any questions

Updated August 2018


Standard Time Sheet

Time-sheets are in Excel format and must be converted to PDF format before being sent to the Human Resources & Compensation Officer for payroll.

Casual/Student Employees

A Casual and Student Employee is one who is employed in a job established for a specific and limited purpose, or for the duration of a specific project, or group of assignments. For example: Dons, Coaches, Markers, Teaching Assistants, Journalism – “Persons Retained From Outside”, and any other part time assistance provided by students. Temporary/Casual employees are paid through Casual/Student Payroll administered by the Human Resources & Compensation Officer.

Contract employees with contracts of less than eight months, Part-Time employees who work less than 50%, and Temporary/Casual employees are not covered under the mandatory benefit plans and are not eligible for coverage under the voluntary benefit plans, but are covered under the Accident Medical Insurance Plan.

Students on Internships approved by the School of Journalism are covered under a special insurance policy. Please speak with the Procure-to-Pay Officer in the Bursar’s Office for more information.

Contact Information

Student Employment Information

Survivor Income Benefit (SIB)

All full-time employees under the age of 65, with a spouse and/or dependents are required to be enrolled in the Survivor Income Benefit Plan. In the event of your death, while insured, a monthly benefit will be paid to your surviving dependents.

  • Coverage terminates at July 1 of the year following the employee’s attainment of age 65.
  • If you become totally disabled while insured and prior to age 65, your survivor income benefit will continue without premium of payment.

For SIB plan details, please click here.

Casual and Student Employment

The Casual/Student Payroll is processed by staff in the Bursar’s office, 2nd floor of the King’s Arts and Administration building.

All student employment operates under the King’s Student Employment Policy

A Payroll Information Guide is available so students and staff can understand the Universities casual payroll policies and procedures.

Students are encouraged to submit resumes only in response to specific job postings, and to check the Employment Opportunities and the on-Campus student job bulletin board (located outside Prince Hall) for specific job postings.

Student employees are part of the Casual and Temporary employee group of the University and are covered under special insurances. Please see the Bursar’s Office for details.


Smoking Policy

Smoking on the campus of the University of King’s College is prohibited.

No-smoking is defined by the Smoke-Free Places Act, that was updated and expanded on May 31, 2015, to include all forms of smoke from any device including traditional cigarettes and cigars, electronic cigarettes, and hookahs.

August 2016

Sick Leave

Sick leave is defined as the period of time an employee is absent from work with full pay as a result of illness or injury.

When absent from work for sick leave please complete a sick leave form or email the information to the Human Resources & Compensation Officer.

The University may require medical evidence, but not normally for periods of less than five consecutive days.

Frequent periods of sick leave may be reviewed to determine if the employee is medically fit to carry out their duties on a full-time basis.

For total disability, please refer to the Long Term Disability section.

Updated August 2018

Sabbatical Leave (Faculty)

Sabbatical leave is subject to approval by the Board of Governors on the recommendation of the President, in accordance with the procedures established in the Regulations Governing Faculty – Administration Relations (Pink Book).

The application for sabbatical leave shall include an outline of the programme to be followed during leave.  The application should be made to the President who shall make a recommendation to the Board of Governors, having first consulted with the Chairperson or Head of the department at Dalhousie or the appropriate Director of the University Programme or School. This application shall be made before the last day of October of the academic year preceding that for which leave is being sought.

During sabbatical leave a member of the academic staff is expected to continue participation in the Public Sector Superannuation Pension Plan, insurance and other fringe benefit programmes on the same basis as though continuing in full-time service at the University on a full salary, with both the member concerned and the University contributing at the usual rates.

For more information, please see section 4.6 of the Pink Book.